Reply to post: Re: Although...

Gmail is secure. Netflix is secure. Together they're a phishing threat

MonkeyCee

Re: Although...

"You make one single mistake doing that, it could cost you money and they're squatting. You can't even correct your mistake because they have the password for that account on that service, not you."

Lack of joined up thinking there AC.

If you don't have a password, you can't load a CC.

If you do have a password, the spoofers don't.

If you have a problem, you contact netflix, and seeing as you control a) the contact email address and b) the credit card, I fail to see how you can't cancel the payment.

Unless there's some method of inputting the CC into an unsecured form.

"No one but Google (not Netflix, the police, the courts, the banks, etc) considers agmailuser@gmail.com to be the same person as a.gmail.user@gmail.com."

They consider them to be separate email addresses. A person can clearly have more than one address. More than one person have access to an email address. In fact there is no direct relationship between natural persons and email addresses.

Personally I find it quite handy, but I have some 40+ email addresses being delivered to the same gmail account. Luckily it's yet to confuse the police, courts or the bank, all of whom use such boring things as a physical address or phone number when they really want to get hold of me, rather than email.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon