Reply to post: Re: It has become so intertwined with how the world works

An easy-breezy attitude to sharing personal data is the only thing keeping the app economy alive

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: It has become so intertwined with how the world works

"So it is entirely possible not to suck on Satan's cock, you just have to make the right choice."

A website listing the decent, non-intrusive apps and the worst offenders would be nice. If it doesn't exist, it should. My wife installed a few apps for some of the local shops. Aldis app was ok but Lidl wanted camera access for some reason I couldn't fathom. There's no part of the app used to take images or scan barcodes/QR codes, so why did it ask for it? No doubt Lidl would say it for a future feature, but if that's so, why not ask for the additional permission at the point of upgrading to the version that use it?

The Lidl app got deleted. I have no reason to suspect them of anything untoward, but asking for permissions for no obvious reason sets my alarm bells off. It's what scammers do.

I used the in-app anonymous feedback form to explain the above and to point out that when I did a search for coffee, the only result was beef steak!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon