Reply to post: Re: Communist nonsense.

Mind the gap: Men paid 18.6% more than women in Blighty tech sector

Rob D.
Thumb Down

Re: Communist nonsense.

> A cleaner simply isn't that valuable.

A naive point of view which doesn't address the capitalist concepts of cost and value.

My wife and I buy back some of our personal time by paying someone to clean for a few hours each week. Our first, a lady who came with the house we bought, would be caught having long sit downs, skimped on the actual work done, came in late when she thought she could get away with it. Lazy, work-shy, dishonest and in need of watching.

Our current cleaner is as diligent, hard-working, honest, trustworthy and reliable a person you could ever hope to meet in any walk of life. She's cleaned for us, looked after the children's gerbils, taken in parcels and watched the meter readers in, sometimes chatted a long while then stayed longer to make up time, even came in to help us out while I was in hospital recently. She has never asked for a pay rise to the extent that I've bumped what we pay her by a third over the last three years voluntarily; I've offered more but she's turned it down.

Our first cleaner wouldn't be worth even the minimum wage. Our current cleaner will never be earning big money, but we pay her as much as she will accept and pay it gladly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon