Reply to post: Re: You b..... you just killed Bloomfield!

Intel admits a load of its CPUs have Spectre v2 flaw that can't be fixed

Updraft102

Re: You b..... you just killed Bloomfield!

"oldies that went on sale between 2007 and 2011, so it is likely few remain in normal use."

Yeah, I was thinking about that line too... you know how we keep hearing about the tragic decline in PC sales? The reason is that the end of Moore's Law (such that it has been called) means that older kit stays usable much longer, and people are using it much longer. I certainly am, and I know several others running gear old enough to be on Intel's "wontfix" list. I think you might be surprised at how much old computer equipment is still in use-- and why not? For most computing tasks, older gear is still very usable today. We've reached a point that a great many people only replace PC gear when it stops working, not because it's too slow... they're like toasters or other commoditized items. If it works, keep using it until it doesn't.

It's purely anecdotal, but I pay attention to what gear people run when in discussion forums, whether it is pertinent to the thread at hand or just something listed in a signature file, and there is a LOT of old gear still being used today, including for web browsing (the most likely vector for most people to be affected by Spectre, via JavaScript).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon