Reply to post: Re: Yes! Someone's remembered TrackMeNot

One solution to wreck privacy-hating websites: Flood them with bogus info using browser tools

GIRZiM

Re: Yes! Someone's remembered TrackMeNot

> The interweb is dead, long live the proprietary and non-transparent app :(

Which is why I don't use apps if I can avoid it and, if I 'must' use one, find as many offline options as possible - offline maps, offline public transport guides, offline Wikipedia, offline dcitionaries/translators. To which I then add a 'firewall'/localhost VPN and block ad-slinging domains, or even complete apps, if I don't feel they need to be accessing the network tp provide me with the service I require of them - my calculator, for instamce, doesn't need to access the Internet (I'll go online in a browser when I want to compare currencies).

> Doesn't that render stuff like TrackMeNot rather irrelevant?

Yes and no, I suppose; it depends upon how much you're prepared to do through a browser rather than a dedicated app. I don't need apps for any service that is the same (or good enough) in a browser - imdb, search engines, news sites, live road/rail/air/tube/bus travel information, hotel booking, etc. can all be done via a browser just like they were in the days before mobile and like they still are on the laptop I'm writing this reply on now.

> It's not pretty, is it.

Nope. It's pretty damn ugly and it's only going to get worse: wait until it's all clod-based AI 'services' and you don't actually have an OS on any of your devices, any apps or any clue where your data goes, let alone any control over it - Alexa, please book me a seat at the restaurant and order me the following meal ... "I'm sorry. I can't do that Dave - you're getting too fat."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020