Reply to post:

Elon Musk's mighty erection fires sperm at orbiting space station

eldakka

From the article:

> but there have been no confirmed cases low-Earth ejaculation so far.

Now, I am not a doctor or a professional in any other biological science, however, my understanding from vaguely remembered biology classes is that, for a healthy male with normal sexual functionality, it would be literally impossible to go without ejaculating for any significant length of time (I vaguely recall it being ~2 weeks, but let's just say a couple months).

Unless the male has a medical problem, or undergone some sort of medical procedure, sperm (and semen in general, not just the actual sperm) is being constantly created in the body. At some point the reservoirs fill up and have to be drained to some extent. This typically happens, if someone hasn't had sex or masturbated within the relevant window, during a sleep cycle (often accompanied by sexual dreams).

Therefore, unless NASA is only sending males with reproductive medical issues, or requiring medical procedures to inhibit such, into space, then it would be impossible that there has not been ejaculation in LEO given there have been many male astronauts who have spent at least a couple months, and more, in LEO on the ISS and Skylab before it.

All assuming I'm remembering my biology right...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon