Reply to post: Re: I'd prefer that to my usual hypothesis that it's a bunch of thick racists - @Phil

Europe dumps 300,000 UK-owned .EU domains into the Brexit bin

Intractable Potsherd

Re: I'd prefer that to my usual hypothesis that it's a bunch of thick racists - @Phil

"So looking at your categories you're basically assuming that the only possible reasons for voting leave were racism, stupidity, or greed?"

I am willing to accept that some leave voters had some thoughtful reasons based on democracy etc - you seem to be one of them. However, of the people I know who voted to leave (unfortunately, most of my family and friends), racism, stupidity (in the sense of not thinking about consequences, or actually knowing what they ultimately wanted), and greed are the primary reasons they state. All of them cite the fact that there are more non-Asian foreigners in their town centres (the fact that my family and some friends live in Rotherham makes this complaint somewhat bizarre!). Others just went with the number of "Pakis" as justification. One of my friends worked for Tata Steel, and somehow the fact that they are closing his location down was a reason for voting leave (no, I really don't understand). Those with trades seemed to focus on how much more they will be able to charge if there weren't so many EU workers available. So, there you have it - a reasonably large and varied sample which indicates elements of racism, stupidity, and greed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon