Reply to post: Re: Honest question

Europe dumps 300,000 UK-owned .EU domains into the Brexit bin

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Honest question

Well I tried to register the .eu version of my ltd company name in the sunrise period (when those with a legitimate claim get priority subject to evidence and a higher fee). It's a made-up name and not registered in any other TLD except .com (with no web site).

Jumped through all the hoops, paid the fee (£100 if I recall). Got no subsequent correspondence until at the very end of sunrise an email to say "rejected" no appeal, no reasons, no refund. By which time sunrise had ended and someone else had bagged it (but it's still not in use). I later found someone else with exactly the same story. Conclusion: an insider treated the applications as their way of identifying names he might be able to resell at an inflated price.

Maybe a lucky escape for me except in practise .eu names are so seldom seen in real world use that ordinary internet users will regard with caution. When I did a search many of the .eu domains actually routed traffic straight to another TLD apart from "official" eu bodies. My advice is stick with .uk (or your own home country) or .com.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon