Reply to post:

Uber self-driving car death riddle: Was LIDAR blind spot to blame?

martinusher Silver badge

Uber may be guilty of cutting corners but this may not be caused by this but rather our exaggerated expectations of how these vehicles should behave. Most telling in this case is that the car did have a backup driver, a human, and that human also failed to react to the cyclist. This suggests that there was going to be a collision no matter who or what was driving.

I don't know this road but I do live in the US and have driven extensively in both the UK and the US. Driving at night in the US is far more difficult than the UK because the road markings, signs and lighting in the US is markedly inferior to the UK's. I live in fear of pedestrian crossings here, for example, because they have a habit of appearing out of nowhere -- you really need to know where they are -- and attempts to highlight them with street lighting invariably make things worse with glare.

Ultimately, though, its a see/be seen situation. You'd be amazed at the number of people who get hit by trains in the US, both pedestrians and drivers. Our trains are 12 feet tall, have numerous bright lights at the front and a horn that can be heard miles away (which they use a lot more than in the UK). People still don't notice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019