Reply to post: seductive and ... elegant?

Take the dashboard too literally and your brains might end up all over it

doublelayer Silver badge

seductive and ... elegant?

The article says: "At their best, dashboards are seductive, elegant and informative. At their worst they are seductive, elegant and horribly misleading."

I beg to differ. At their worst, dashboards are hideously inelegant. They have about a hundred links to things I don't need. Either they're just all out there, usually on the top or left, or the dashboard people put them into one tiny button so that if you ever need them, you have to scroll gigantic menus. Then you have data that isn't related to what I'm doing, so the page is big and mostly pointless. Then, you have the things where something I have to deal with is on the dashboard, and the page that lets me interact with that thing is also accessed from the dashboard, but the two aren't connected. For example, a dashboard for tasks that I had for a while that would show you a nice clean table of the tasks with their statuses and summaries. And if you wanted to look at the detail or change them, you couldn't click on anything to open it up. No, you had to enter the task number in the search box, being careful to change the search type to "task number" from the default of generic search (which would not find a task by its number), which would always pull up a search results page even when you entered the whole number. Then you could click on the one result on the results page to see the task. And you would see the form with (not joking) eighty five different text entry or selection boxes for different elements of the task, at least sixty of which were empty because no one needs them. That is what a dashboard is at its worst.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019