Reply to post: Re: Re : "described Wylie as a charlatan"

Cambridge Analytica 'privatised colonising operation', not a 'legitimate business', says whistleblower

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Re : "described Wylie as a charlatan"

The question I have around Wylie is “can he back up his statements with evidence?”

Some of his statements are clearly speculative - while he may suspect, he doesn’t hold the evidence and doesn’t know where to find it (I.e. Muresas death and the allegation of Police bribery). Hence the charlatan claim.

Does he have evidence on other subjects that allows any more detailed follow ups?

I have no doubt that apps were used to slurp Facebook data and capture information about friends etc that may have exceeded Facebooks terms at the time it occurred. I have no doubt that large numbers of people will be shocked about how much Facebook knows about them and how poorly it protected that data. Some of that data may have been used in the Brexit referendum and US elections, but it wasn’t the only game in town and existing voter data sets existed that were likely to be more accurate than the information from Facebook.

Jumping from Facebook data appropriation to murder, bribery, data that changes elections and fraudulent electoral returns is where it gets harder. If criminal charges are going to be faced, the judicial system is going to require more evidence than one persons testimony.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon