Reply to post: Re: Beware of the leopard

How do you make those darn code monkeys do what you want? Just give 'em a little nudge

bombastic bob Silver badge
IT Angle

Re: Beware of the leopard

well, a positive example of this 'make it easy' etc. principle is how the city of San Diego handles its recycling program, which effectively pays for itself (as I understand it) with items tossed in the blue cans.

All they did was give EVERYONE a blue trash can to put out every other week with recyclable materials.

Now I find I'm filling the blue can, and rarely put out the black one [normal trash] by comparison.

So recycling gets done on a massive scale, it benefits the city, trash doesn't fill up the landfills so much any more, and it is SO easy to do as a citizen, because you just toss the recyclable thing into the blue can instead of the black one. [they also give you a pretty long list of things you can recycle, and a trash calendar indicating which weeks to put the blue can out on the curb].

Anyway, I think this is a good example of the principles discussed in the article being applied. OK it's not IT, thus icon, but I thought it was worth "sharing". heh.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019