Reply to post: Re: Ha

Brit MPs chide UK.gov: You're acting like EU data adequacy prep is easy

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Ha

@ Not also known as SC

"I thought it was the leave voters who didn't want foreigners coming over and taking our jobs"

You might believe that if you read remainer comments but outside of that you have to go out of the way to find racists and xenophobes. That is why I wrote what I wrote.

"Didn't Farage or someone have a poster meant to be showing thousands of Turks"

Yes it was Farage. It was quite amusing because this was at the time the EU were arguing between themselves that they should not be held hostage by Turkey who was demonstrating how little power the EU really had.

"I thought it was leavers who wanted a 'racist xenophobic little island' whereas remainers wanted things to remain the same, free movement, free trade etc."

Remainers want things to remain the same (which can be argued as racist and xenophobic) within their protectionist supranational borders but if we do leave the EU some are very vocal that we will be a racist xenophobic little island (just read remain comments on this site). The determination to be that is astounding.

@ Loyal Commenter

"On a more serious note, all the leaver arguments I've heard boil down to xenophobia in one way or another."

Ok, so you now get to explain to me why my friends in the EU are more valid than the rest of my friends from Africa, Asia, Russia, Middle East and even the US. The hassle for them to be here (if they are allowed) is ridiculous and all who have made it here came as students. Compared to my friends who is from the EU.

"For instance the 'controlling borders' one is pretty obvious, the implication is that we don't want people from other countries coming here"

I guess if you cannot read that might be the same thing. If you can understand the difference it leads to my first question for you (see above).

"The 'sovereignty' argument centres on the idea that laws made by the EU parliament are somehow invasive and inferior"

So they are not invasive? They do not apply to us? If you are so up for being ruled beyond our electable's then why dont we become part of the US? Or China? But then to even have this discussion is to accept sovereignty has been given up, which doesnt really seem smart does it? Also loss of sovereignty on trade. With federalisation probably on monetary matters and military but that depends on the direction of the EU.

"If you take away the mind-set that Brits are somehow superior to foreigners, a lot of the pro-leave arguments mysteriously melt away with them"

That is interesting. Last time we discussed the EU you went strangely quiet when shown to be not just wrong but very wrong. I am glad you have taken some of it on board (now realising we have given away sovereignty) but last time you claim leave arguments didnt stand I said- Which one doesnt stand? I have argued this out plenty on the basis of economy, trade, sovereignty, immigration and democracy. Again that was when you went quiet (possibly because your previous arguments had been wrong).

"Somehow though, to suggest that brexit is the embodiment of xenophobia, is mudslinging and not a valid argument..."

Last time you didnt go with 'xenophobia' it was idiot. You might remember- I like that someone who disagrees with you but refutes your clearly incorrect statements is an idiot. How can I seriously respond to that?

"Yeah, I think he's off his meds again."

I guess reading through your comment it now makes sense why you started with this factually absent but insulting first line. Kudo's for avoiding responding to me but I still refute your mistakes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon