Reply to post:

18.04 beta is as good a time as any to see which Ubuntu flavour tickles your Budgie, MATE

Ilsa Loving

"We have Libreoffice and Thunderbird which are fundamentally very good, but are beginning to look a little dated."

I have to respectfully disagree. Thunderbird is a god-awful mess. Hideous messy UI, convoluted configuration, and irritating behaviours make it a user unfriendly mess. It failed the Mom test miserably. As a matter of fact, I have not used one single OSS PIM stack that didn't have some kind of problem or was missing critical functionality. For example, CardDav/CalDAV support is shockingly hard to come by without having to futz with cumbersome transport tools.

LibreOffice is ok for word processing and spreadsheets, but they really should just throw in the towel with Impress. I have yet to run it on a single system (I haven't tried Windows) where it wasn't fundamentally broken. Half the transition options flat out don't work, and those that do work have shockingly jerky animation on even high end hardware. And this has been an ongoing problem for at least half a decade, and nobody seems to care enough to fix it. You'd be better off flipping through a PDF file.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon