Reply to post: Re: Windows users will absolutely love...

Microsoft says 'majority' of Windows 10 use will be 'streamlined S mode'

Timmy B Silver badge

Re: Windows users will absolutely love...

"I like the downvotes....

Ricoh Laser printer."

I like the idea of Linux and every so often I do a test. I take my last laptop - whatever it is - and I try to install whatever seems to be the flavour of the month distro on it as well as Ubuntu. I tend to but Dell laptops so this shouldn't be a struggle. If I have to do anything other than enter some basic information and options and click a few buttons I view it as a failure. After all if the "rubbish" Windows can do this then it should be ok. I have the usual things attached or that I want to use; a printer, a couple of monitors, wireless keyboard, NAS drive etc... etc... So far I haven't had a single success. The best I have ever had is everything working except the wireless card and printer - these seem to be Linux bugbears. I keep trying and one day I'll get it to work and then go on to my phase 2 which is try to replace my usual software and see if it is truly better.

I fully accept there will be downvotes for me as I'll be viewed as incompetent. Dammit - I used to set up OS/2 for a job - I know difficult installations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019