Reply to post: Re: Good to see the AAIB keeping up with modernity!

UK's air accident cops are slurping data from pilots' fondleslabs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Good to see the AAIB keeping up with modernity!

"A British government agency has been downloading data from iPads and similar devices used by pilots of crashed aircraft, it has emerged."

Emerged? Does that mean you just found out about it?

I must say, I usually enjoy Gareth's articles but he seems to have dropped the ball on this one.

And yes, as Adam 52 says, all possible sources of information are considered when investigating an accident (not just in civil aviation). This may include also, btw, access to online information the pilot(s) may or may not have accessed.

Finally, I should like to reproduce here the disclaimer on the front page of every AAIB report (other countries have similar mandatory disclaimers):

"The sole objective of the investigation of an accident or incident under these Regulations is the prevention of future accidents and incidents. It is not the purpose of such an investigation to apportion blame or liability."

"Accordingly, it is inappropriate that AAIB reports should be used to assign fault or blame or determine liability, since neither the investigation nor the reporting process has been undertaken for that purpose."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019