Reply to post: Professor Sir TimBL was always an optimist, but realist too

Tim Berners-Lee says regulation of the web may be needed

David Shaw

Professor Sir TimBL was always an optimist, but realist too

Dan55, I ilked this extract from the Grauniad article that you linked

Berners-Lee has always maintained that his creation was a reflection of humanity – the good, the bad and the ugly. However, his vision to create an “open platform that allows anyone to share information, access opportunities and collaborate across geographical boundaries” has been challenged as the web has become more centralised.

“I’m still an optimist, but an optimist standing at the top of the hill with a nasty storm blowing in my face, hanging on to a fence,” he told the Guardian in November. “We have to grit our teeth and hang on to the fence and not take it for granted that the web will lead us to wonderful things.”

TimBL saw as soon as his W.W.W was launched that it needed defending, and he set about taking and standardising the carpet away from under the extend, embrace, extinguish mob. The centralize, snoop, subvert/weaponize mob are hard-at-it now, ramping up control since the late 90's. They are doing historically-unprecedented attacks on behalf of their sovereign nation states, following or sometimes leading a political agenda, intertwined with a badvert business model. As sovereign nations they of course *can* do this, they just have to rationally explain to the people of the web , why.

Come on nations that aren't scared of their people, invest in the future, like the 2004 Finnish: Millennium-teknologiapalkinto

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/14/business/pioneer-who-kept-the-web-free-honored-with-a-technology-prize.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020