Reply to post: Re: School Days

Your mouse can't reach that Excel cell? Buy a 'desk extender' said help desk bluffer

Norman Nescio Silver badge

Re: School Days

...you kept the rollers clean (and what a strangely satisfying job that was too - was it just me who played the game of "try to peel all the compressed crud off the roller into a single long strip"?)

OK - embarrassing admission here:

I got irritated with the mouse pointer sticking in place when I moved the mouse, and I admit to removing the insert that kept the ball inside the mouse, and musing on where one could get new 'friction bands' to install on the rollers as the old ones had become rough in use, hence stopping the ball from rotating and thereby causing the pointer to stick. I resorted to chipping off the existing bands and using the bare rollers instead, which worked well. 'Good hack', I thought to myself.

Only much, much later did I realise the 'friction bands' were picked up crud, and new mice had pristine rollers.

You get much the same effect of a 'sticky' mouse pointer on optical mice if a fine thread or hair gets stuck in front of the camera. The tweezers on my Victorinox knife have been useful in this regard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon