Reply to post: This is why more diversity is needed

Ex-Google recruiter: I was fired for opposing hiring caps on white, Asian male nerds

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

This is why more diversity is needed

According to its own internal report in 2017:

“Google’s overall workforce is 56% White, 35% Asian, 4% two or more races, 4% Hispanic or Latinx, 2% Black and less than 1% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.”

Women make up 20% of the tech workforce.

The reg article states that Google is trying to hire low level tech workers from a qualified pool of minority candidates. I can’t see how this will hurt Google or the White and Asian men who dominate the company today. The numbers may go up 3 or 4 points?

We can’t be that arrogant and afraid to say if all things being relevant someone else can’t get a shot because I always feel more qualified. Education and Socioeconomic background don’t always mean someone will be a great coder.

Commenters here sound like white southerners from the 60s when they refused to let people in the universities and white collar jobs.

It’s not every position nor every hiring round. It should all be based on merit but sometimes other Americans need a shot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon