Reply to post: Windows is close to unusable

Microsoft says 'majority' of Windows 10 use will be 'streamlined S mode'

martinusher Silver badge

Windows is close to unusable

I do a fair bit of work using Texas Instruments's Code Composer Studio, an integrated development environment built on Eclipse. M employer is a Windows shop and over the years I've learned to live with -- or, more accurately, work around the various foibles and shortcomings of this platform. Things are getting increasingly difficult, though, because of changes to both Windows and corporate IT policy. Put simply, Microsoft has never managed to shake loose from its MS-DOS origins and the collected baggage from this plus the layers of security slathered on top to try and fix those basic shortcomings make it difficult to do any useful work. One example of random problems is that despite USB being a mature technology Microsoft has yet to figure out how its supposed to work -- it treats identical devices in different hub ports as different units (requiring "Administrator access" to deal with) and it will for no apparent reason at all deny a device exists even though its been in use for months.

I'm fortunately past retirement age so this masochistic BS is purely optional, I don't need to put up with it. But I can see the negative effect it has on development and it worries me -- development groups are like fluids, they hit insurmountable obstructions and just flow around them, either putting off the work or pretending that they don't need to do it. Stuff will just not get done.

Meanwhile my experience with Windows 10 has been less than stellar. Like all Microsoft's products through its history it needs the latest and fastest to work properly, the company preferring to mask design shortcomings by using ever more capable hardware. The result at home is that I often find myself booting up a Linux system to figure out why Windows is having a problem starting -- my systems aren't that old but typically I can get Linux up, the browser opened and a question answered in less time than it takes Windows to boot up, especially after one of its numerous 'upgrades'. Why anyone would willingly subject themselves to this is a puzzle; my guess is that they don't have a choice. 'S' mode will just heap frustration upon frustration. (...and to think that all MSFT had to do was tix a handful of bugs and architectural shortcomings.....)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019