Reply to post: Re: I'm not sure that targeting specific companies is the way forward.

Europe plans special tax for Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon

Peter2 Silver badge

Re: I'm not sure that targeting specific companies is the way forward.

You don't seem to understand the difference between evasion and avoidance.

You don't seem to understand the difference between semantics and the systematic collapse of public services as a result of companies deciding that they aren't going to pay any tax. If everybody is allowed to get away with this then our society is going to be financially as well as morally bankrupt and frankly we don't have 30 years to debate about it while these companies destroy local companies who are paying tax.

As I noted in my previous post, the revenue tax proposals are well under the levels of tax taken through profits. I am sure that businesses involved will all post huge losses as a result but at this point my sympathy is zero because they would cheerfully produce multi billion pound "losses" every year to offset against their future tax bills to continue paying nothing in tax so ignoring the posted losses is pretty essential really, isin't it?

If they wanted a system that only took a certain percentage of profits then they should have used and not abused the existing systems. I'd also be prepared for the tact that BigCompany™ will simply immediately outsource all operations with revenue in to BigCompanySubsidiary™, to reduce their posted revenue. The answer is simply to play games back faster and harder than they will do so that they come off considerably worse every time. If they go bankrupt as a result then they can stand as a warning to others.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon