Reply to post:

Good luck saying 'Sorry I'm late, I had to update my car's firmware'

Lee D Silver badge

Strangely, I like my computers to not do anything unless requested.

It seems some people lost that idea some years ago and tolerate anything now.

Hell, even my phone can't update an app without asking first.

Sorry, Microsoft / Samsung / whoever. It's my device. You'll do what I say. By all means inform me, but I can also say "shut up" to those notifications permanently if you abuse them.

The auto-update-with-no-choice-about-it is really only a product of the last few years. I will literally hack my operating system to stop you doing that to me, having witnessed any number of updates-gone-drastically-wrong, and inconvenient timings for updates.

Within weeks of Windows 10 upgrades going out to Windows 7/8 users, I had one person who trashed their entire system including all documents (we have no idea how), and one who was forced to upgrade a fresh machine and then explorer crashed out constantly (which meant Windows was unusable in any mode and we had to recover files). That's not counting all the Windows Updates that just blue-screen, take out features (one IT guy I know has a PC on Windows 10 that every Windows 10 update removes his Ethernet drivers and nobody knows why, but to say that's slightly annoying is an understatement), or are later revoked for discovered problems.

You have to be an idiot to blindly upgrade everything the second it pops up. Hell, the software often doesn't even give you a chance to make a proper backup with it's "Update Later" kind of non-option. If MS etc. were taking responsibility for my data, that would then be their problem. While they don't, they don't get to dictate when I update.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon