Reply to post:

Copper feel, fibre it ain't: Ads regulator could face court for playing hard and fast with definitions

anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I know most people couldn't care HOW their internet is delivered, but all the ISPs push their services as 'Fibre' for a reason: it sells. People do care what fancy words are used in the adverts. The word 'fibre' sounds more up to date than 'not fibre', so as long as they continue to be allowed to use the term, the ISPs will do so.

So now the real fibre providers have to differentiate themselves. I would go so far as to say that the totally disingenuous way that BT started calling FTTC 'Fibre' (and then all the other providers followed suit) has slowed down real fibre penetration in the UK. Who is bothered with getting fibre into homes when almost everyone can (apparently) get it? When I tell people that only 3% of the country have fibre, they're generally surprised.

If the cabinet is outside your house, then I suppose calling it Fibre does make sense, but quite frankly, if your cabinet is 3km away, it's hardly 'Fibre' now is it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon