Reply to post:

Twitter cries for help to solve existential crisis of whether it's Good

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I don't consider the 'bots a problem, rather more as a symptom, of the conditions on Twitter and it isn't likely to change. The problem really comes down to, just as with the other social networks, people surrounding themselves with like minded individuals, other than family, usually. Given that, receiving "tweets" from others on the network that echo what beliefs they already hold is not going to raise much of a red flag in most peoples mind, especially when it is linked and presented from other like-minded individuals that they have had a history with. They are far more likely to forward it on and that's the power of a 'bot. We've seen the like for decades in emails, why does anyone think this is novel or new?

This is the way social groups form and preserve themselves, part of the "human condition." Personally, I like diverse sources of information and opinion, I always have, whether in academe, others personally, and especially on the networks. However, I'm a serious outlier which is why I can see a bit further. Sure, we can have the best AI's on the planet engaged in 'bot detection and it may help somewhat. On the flip-side, the opposition can engage many more individuals to throw a spanner into the works, just less automated. A smidgen less.

[I'm still fascinated that we, the US, even consider this a problem. We're doing much the same to Russia as I type this. "American Exceptionalism" strike again.]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon