Reply to post: When I were a lad...

RIP... almost: Brit high street gadget shack Maplin Electronics

adam 40 Silver badge
Pint

When I were a lad...

>> The last time I went, I came away empty-handed as they had none of my usual stuff in stock. The few components they continued to sell were massively over-priced and no-one in their right mind would buy them. How about £2.49 for a single F-plug, when CPC or RS will sell you one for 16 pence? <<

>> Sadly, that market got a bit thin <<

Q.E.D.

This is the trouble with modern business - the mantra is "expand or die". Why not just do what you do well, stay the same size, and employ your core staff comfortably?

I remember when the OLD catalogue was just a pamphlet, and then suddenly the big thick one arrived with tissue paper, a revelation, back in 1974. And the debate about the copulating couple in the "DJ" section....

Before that, in the days of BiPak, when you selected your components based on whether they attracted normal purchase tax, or luxury tax...

Before that, when my local radio shop in Saffron Walden had the exact valve I needed for my oscilloscope, and then got boarded up for 30 years with all those Betamax recorders inside....

And you try to tell the kids of today - they don't know they're born!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon