Reply to post: Re: @ Dr Heinrich Backhausen

We all hate Word docs and PDFs, but have they ever led you to being hit with 32 indictments?

Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: @ Dr Heinrich Backhausen

@McIntyre

Yes, Acrobat can convert pdf back to doc. I have done it regularly. I am a proof reader for the magazine published by a small voluntary organisation. The Editor sends early drafts of the mag to us as pdf from her desktop publisher, but I want to run the text past the Word spellcheck.

First one should use the Acrobat facility to add tags. With tags in place, the Word output is less disjointed. Running headers and footers are eliminated, but page breaks still seem to be a problem. If they split a sentence, Word complains there is no capital letter for the first word on the next page. Material in text boxes often seems to get corrupted. However, the exercise does manage to spot a useful number of faults in the draft text.

Recently, after using Word 2013 for over three years, I learned that it could import pdf as text, that can then be spellchecked. This yields better results than export from Acrobat. But it seems to want pdf from dtp programs, rather than from OCR programs; the latter come through as graphics, not text.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon