Reply to post: Re: What could possibly...?

Farewell, Android Pay. We hardly tapped you

sisk Silver badge

Re: What could possibly...?

But credit card numbers? I long ago stopped freaking out about those. If my number gets stolen I flag the transaction, the bank refunds it, and they send me a new card with a different number. It's a minor hassle.

It's a much bigger problem for folks who live paycheck to paycheck. I know a guy who's absolutely horrible at managing his money and is generally broke a few days after his payday despite having a decent paying job. Someone got his debit card details and cleaned out his account. As you said, not a big deal because the bank refunded it, but in the meantime he went 2 weeks without money to buy fuel and food. He lost more than a few pounds those couple weeks.

Also, the last time my credit card details were stolen it was through the Target hack. I always check for skimmers on the gas pumps - in case you haven't figured it out already, I'm a bit on the paranoid side - and I've turned a couple of them over to the police. To my knowledge I've never fallen victim to one, though they've gotten good enough lately that they're net easy to spot even if you know what to look for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019