Reply to post:

Microsoft ends notifications for Win-Phone 7.5 and 8.0

NerryTutkins

I still use my Lumia 930. Good camera (especially for its time), good performance and I like the clean interface of Windows Phone and the tiles.

The problem Windows Phone always has (aside from lack of apps) was that Microsoft never really worked hard on fixing the small annoying things. I recall the flashlight for example, until Win Phone 10 came along, you couldn't (even with an app) turn it on without having to PIN in to the phone. Which is just plain stupid, because there are no security implications and it's the kind of thing you need to access quickly. Same with music player, I should at least have the option of running it without logging in.

I think Microsoft were actually doing pretty well with Windows Phone in some markets. Could have been a viable third option - the unfragmented uniformity and direct from vendor updates you get with an Apple device, but the wide choice of devices and lower price you get with Android. Instead like too many things, they threw money at it, kept moving the goalposts for developers and throwing their install base under a bus with each shift to a new, better code base.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019