Reply to post: Re: Have I missed something?

KFC: Enemy of waistlines, AI, arteries and logistics software

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Have I missed something?

Don't use the satnav mate, but I understand that maps on the device need updating.

I think the whole idea of trying to make a car (AI) understand the world around to perform the simple task of driving is nigh on impossible and thats before you've got to the interesting morality questions that have been posed. e.g. When the car has no option but to crash does it place the lives of the car occupants above those on the street.

If the world does want autonomous cars then I believe there will have to be changes to the infrastructure to make sure they can work reliably and safely. How does a visual AI check that what it thinks it is seeing is correct (as someone pointed kids with spraypaint, we get it all over here). I guess it would check a known database of good data which I would expect the manufacturer to update as required.

Since roadworks are by their very nature temporary (supposedly) then this would not mean replacing All road signs (not my point) just providing a way to interact with the car without having to rely on Visual AI for exceptions such as roadworks.

if they crack a self driving, morally upright car that needs no updates, set road data, can master driving different conditions, no infrastructure changes etc, etc, etc, etc, etc then they might as well build Skynet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon