Reply to post: Being serious about this...

Ubuntu wants to slurp PCs' vital statistics – even location – with new desktop installs

msknight Silver badge

Being serious about this...

I really want to know why Ubuntu are doing this. I mean, they should have known from the Amazon debacle that forcing data slurps are going to generate serious backlash that result in a percentage of the user base jumping ship.

I mean, I had only just returned to Mate from Mint after Unity was shafted and the slurpalicious settings were off by default.

Here they are, repeating the whole damn episode... the hard way.

From where I'm sitting, I really have no clue as to what this data is going to bring them. I mean, "Network connectivity or not"... what?! And what the heck do they have to do with packages anyway? I mean, apart from what is installed by default on the distro. Yes, smaller technical stuff, but different people are going to be using different packages anyway. The choice betwen Open Office and Libre Office is a debate similar to is zero a number.

And the key thing here, is that Ubuntu have failed to communicate things properly or to be totally transparent... and in doing so, have just triggered off a spike in the share price of tin foil. Again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019