Reply to post: Re: Time for NUMA, Embrace your Inner CSP

Hate to ruin your day, but... Boffins cook up fresh Meltdown, Spectre CPU design flaw exploits

bazza Silver badge

Re: Time for NUMA, Embrace your Inner CSP

Except that we have a very, very long & sad history of the same class of bug popping up over & over. Every hear about buffer overflow? How is that even still a thing? And yet, we continue to see them.

You are right in what you are saying. It's what you are not saying that bugs me.

Ah, I think I see what you mean (apologies if not). Yes, timing is an issue.

CSP is quite interesting because a read / write across a channel is synchronous, an execution rendezvous. The sending thread blocks until the receiving thread has received, so when the transfer completes each knows whereabouts in execution the other has got to. That's quite different to Actor Model; stuff gets buffered up in comms link buffers, and that opens up a whole range of possible timing bugs.

CSP by being synchronous largely gets rid of the scope for timing bugs, leaving one with the certainty that one has either written a pile of pooh (everything ends up deadlocked waiting for everything else), or the certainty that you haven't got it wrong if it runs at all. There's no grey in between. I've had both experiences...

However, nothing electronic is instantaneous; even in a CSP hardware environment it takes a finite amount of time for signals to propagate; no two processes in CSP are perfectly synchronised, so there is some tiny holes in the armour. The software constructs may think they're synchronised ("the transfer has completed"), but actually they're not quite. But it is good for the needs of most real time applications.

One advantage of this approach is that it doesn't let one trade latency for capacity. With actor model systems data can be off-loaded into the transport (where it gets buffered). Therefore a sender can carry on, relying on the transport to hold the data until the receiver takes it. That's great right up until someone notices the latency varying, and until the transport runs out of buffer space. With CSP, because everything is synchronously transferred, an insufficient amount of compute resource late on in one's processing chain shows up immediately at the very front; there is no hiding that lack of compute resource by temporarily stashing data in the transport. This is excellent in real time systems, because throughput and latency testing is conclusive, not simply "promising".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019