Reply to post: Re: Don't panic, "No exploit code has been released."

Hate to ruin your day, but... Boffins cook up fresh Meltdown, Spectre CPU design flaw exploits

David Roberts Silver badge
Pint

Re: Don't panic, "No exploit code has been released."

Definite lack of shit donation over here as well.

First there should be a realistic (!) proposal of how to fix it.

First stage of that is to produce a new/upgraded/different architecture which has security against these flaws built in. Followed by implementation, testing, running up the fabs, producing the suport chips and motherboards and starting commercial roll out. Not gonna happen this year.

Next stage is to recognise the enormous real estate of vulnerable hardware out there and that there is no economy in the world which can afford to ditch all that and start again even if some mad manufacturer was prepared to ramp up production to meet all new demand plus full replacement.

In the mean time all demand for new/replacement computing capacity will have to be met from existing architectures, constantly increasing the real estate of vulnerable hardware.

Not fair, cry the commentards, that means you are forced to buy dodgy hardware from the people who designed it to be dodgy.

So come up with an alternative which keeps feeding society's insatiable demand for cheap computing and which demand resulted a long time ago in the dominance of Intel as a single supplier. You get what you pay for. Or don't. If there were say four different competing architectures all at similar volume you could afford to drop one and ramp up the other three.

Nobody has yet made a reasonable commercial case for curing Meltdown by ditching Intel in all new machines and letting ARM and AMD take up the slack. Because there just isn't the capacity. That is using existing factories with fully functional production lines.

So enjoy you ranting and beating of your manly (or womanly) breast in outrage. [Um....nearly wandered into mind bleach territory there.] However come up with a viable alternative or accept that we now have an ongoing cycle of software mitigation in the same way we have with all other software products. Coupled with a performace degradation in heavy use scenarios.

Life sucks. Deal with it.

Since I can't see any way that I can solve the problem or even influence the outcome, there isn't much point in wasting time worrying. It will either be fixed or it won't. Meanwhile I think my time would be more productively spent sampling a few brews.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019