Reply to post: GDPR Requires Data Subjects. . . Especially What Data Is Passed On To Third Parties

We already give up our privacy to use phones, why not with cars too?

JaitcH
WTF?

GDPR Requires Data Subjects. . . Especially What Data Is Passed On To Third Parties

Given the spying technologies of GCHQ and the NSA I am happy to forego any perceived 'benefits' such as knowing when a Starbucks pseudo coloured water outlet is nearby (VietNam is the world's No. 2 coffee exporter) and whether there is a fraction of a Cent / Dong / Penny 'deal' coming up.

Other data that will be shared can include physical or biological characteristics, vehicle speeds, seat belt use, and information about braking habits, precise geographic location. Just why do manufacturers need this data?

The police can usually access this data, particularly seat belt use data, using roadside equipment. And you can bet other government agencies can dream up other uses that are detrimental to vehicle owners

Having recently taken delivery of a new company vehicle, I disabled the back-channel radio antenna, moved the unit that contains seat-belt data and moved the Controller Area Network (CAN) connector (usually near the driver seat) to an inaccessible point (for police).

Into the Controller Area Network (CAN) I plugged an aftermarket device that presents all the data through an App. So if **I** decide **I** want to share MY data, **I** have full control of it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019