Reply to post: It pays to plan ahead.

‘I crashed a rack full of servers with my butt’

onefang

It pays to plan ahead.

A few years ago I was the sysadmin for a medium sized company. They had two racks in their server room, and had grown to the point where they needed a third. It was gonna be a bit of a tight squeeze, luckily they had the foresight to measure me up at the same time they where measuring up the room. So they could fit in their third rack, and still leave room for me to squeeze between them when I needed to. I joked at the time that if they had not done that, I would have had to swap jobs with one of the programmers, a tall skinny guy.

Much further back in time, when I was a programmer at some other company, I had noticed the hardware guy had a habit of powering up clients computers very quickly after powering them down when he needed to power cycle them. I warned him a few times that he should wait at least five seconds between off and on, which he ignored. Hey, I'm just the software guy, what do I know? Much to my amusement I had the joy of watching him do that to his own computer one day, with a loud bang and smoke just before my " told you so".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon