Reply to post: Re: Sympathy

Lauri Love judgment: Extradition would be 'oppressive' and breach forum bar

TeaLeaf

Re: Sympathy

Stuart22 - Thank you for your interest.

Based on my experience, the risk would be greater in the U.S. because of the vast difference from the U.K.

People with Asperger's tend to follow routines in order to minimize anxiety, which we all have to a greater or lesser extent. Disrupt that routine by forcefully taking a person to a different country, where the architecture, the layout of towns and cities, driving laws, language and food are different, and that person will experience anxiety. It isn't an absolute, I have travelled to the U.K. and I was okay, though I did have some challenging times. But my trips were voluntary, planned and I went to see friends.

You will probably say that the differences between the U.K. and U.S. aren't that great. To YOU. The differences are magnified for a person with Asperger's Syndrome.

This short and sweet video on Autism might help you understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JdCY-cdgkI

A jail in the U.K. will have familiar food, the langauge will be familiar, ( I have to look up words that I see on the Register from time to time ) and Mr. Love's friends and family could quite possibly visit him every week. This would be tremendously helpful to his well being, since because of his Asperger's, he would have difficulty making friends and might be bullied.

To be clear, it would appear that there is a substantial difference between my position on the Autism Spectrum and Mr. Love's. But I can tell you that the thought of being hauled off to a trial and imprisonment in the U.S. scares the bejeebers out of me.

I don't feel that I have done that good a job of explaining, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon