Reply to post: my worst mistakes

‘I crashed a rack full of servers with my butt’

Wanting more

my worst mistakes

I was supposed to be refreshing the test products database from our live database. Both databases were on the same host. I accidentally mixed up the database names and refreshed the live database with the test data. At least the backup system worked to restore the data when I realized what I'd done. Fortunately this was 15 years ago and most of our workload was batch with a few screens for data maintenance. If I did this now it would of affected online websites and whatnot. The databases were moved on to separate hosts soon after.

Another time I was coding a database trigger so that on delete of one record it would delete some child records in another table. Unfortunately I missed the where clause from the child delete and it emptied the entire table of records. Furthermore the tester didn't catch the issue (it had deleted the record they were expecting and they didn't notice that all the rest of them had gone also). However it was quickly noticed when the code ran on the live database for the first time...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon