Reply to post: "Trivial stuff"

PC not dead, Apple single-handedly propping up mobe market, says Gartner

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"Trivial stuff"

Exactly. As soon as stuff is no longer trivial, a tablet/phone becomes cumbersome. It's not just professional users, but many domestic users who has a hobby or any other activity which can't be easily managed on a tablet or phone.

My main hobby is photography, and I can't really think of managing, processing and printing my photos from a phone or even a tablet. Too small screens, lack of proper applications, very basic printing support Storage requires an external disk or NAS anyway, for several terabytes of data.

I also have many medical, legal and financial records/documents which would be hard to manage on a phone or tablet, even using cloud storage - without clear SLA for important stuff, I don't trust any of those consumer services much. Especially when the cloud storage is strongly tied to the make/OS of the device/application used. Most of them plainly say that if data are lost there's little you can do.

A friend of mine curates his model steam railroad club, and the videos they take, edit and publish. Another is building his drones. He uses the PC for loading firmware, etc to the board, and also a simulator to get proficient with the controls and visor. Another one helps him because he got a 3D printer, he's always been a DIY guy. There's also the one who helps the local volunteers ambulance service. My sister does historical researches in her free time, and needs something that can show several documents at once, something very difficult to do with a single (or at most two) window systems.

All of them aren't use their home PC professionally, just for fun, or volunteer social services.

Whoever believe people at home just become Facebook drones or TV watchers, should ask themselves why....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon