Reply to post: forensic detection ain't like TV - and isn't on your side anyway usually

FYI: There's now an AI app that generates convincing fake smut vids using celebs' faces

DCFusor

forensic detection ain't like TV - and isn't on your side anyway usually

Fixed DEC computers back in the day for forensic labs (including FBI) amongst other customers. Surely you jest - they couldn't tell picric acid from ANFO, or hair from pine needles. Voice print machines covered with dust.

I know in the case of audio - authoritatively, that I can do it so well that pretty much $deity couldn't tell. Happens I had a lot to do with nonlinear audio editing and DSP in my career, as well as general human speech research, but I presume there are others with similar video and math experience. Doubt it'll reach the level of the movie Rising Son anytime soon. The real issue is that now there's doubt and as always, the defense has to prove the surveilers lied (guilty till proven otherwise).

Still beats there being no doubt at all - you guys on the east side of the pond with all your cameras might want to be glad about that.

Second part of the subject - their forensics will always claim a video *they* tampered with is genuine, right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon