Reply to post: Re: Racist?

Linux kernel hardeners Grsecurity sue open source's Bruce Perens

chiggsy

Re: Racist?

@Don Dumb - Not "straight up racism." People keep using the same word for different things, it's annoying. Nationalism is what it is. Why do you think there is a racial element? Outsourcing jobs is a byproduct of globalism. That's not to say the issue does not become tangled up with race,it sure does, but if it were the Germans who were doing the IT jobs for cheap the issues would be the same.

I completely see your point, here, but he did not say the person was unqualified or unsuitable because of his name or potential location, nor did he suggest some other kind of person would be better suited for the task. There is traffic between the tech sectors of India and North America, much of it from the subcontinent to the USA. Grsecurity seems to be the villain here, and it would be funny if they did actually outsource the legal case to India. It would make them cartoonishly evil in the eyes of the Free Software crowd, as well as the legal people.

Where we are headed with this approach is a moral code of conduct as strict as the Puritans, absent the idea of a loving God. I've grown uncomfortable with the indiscriminate shaming, because it ;'presupposes a population of utopians, who's shame will force them into acting the "right way." This is coercive, regardless of how good the intentions are. Not everybody is consciously racist, or sexist or whatever. You want to make sure they are before you accuse them having such a nasty character trait, in my opinion, because it alienates people who might not be totally opposed to your cause.

I kind of think we should aim to be better ourselves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon