Reply to post: Re: contrails / chemtrails @FlamingDeath

NASA is sniffing jet fuel over Germany

arctic_haze

Re: contrails / chemtrails @FlamingDeath

Funny thing but I covered this in a lecture I had just yesterday. I showed the students the infamous 1975 Newsweek article, explained it was based on the NASA report which was five years late in data (they ended in 1970 and only for the Northern Hemisphere). I told them we had no satellite data and practically no circulation models at the time.

Finally I told them that this is what comes from using statistics only, without understanding the underlying processes. I showed them a paper by Wlally Broecker, the oceanographer, in Science from the same 1975. This is what Broecker wrote in the abstract of his paper:

"By analogy with similar events in the past, the natural climatic cooling which, since 1940, has more than compensated for the carbon dioxide effect, will soon bottom out. Once this happens, the exponential rise in the atmospheric carbon dioxide content will tend to become a significant factor and by early in the next century will have driven the mean planetary temperature beyond the limits experienced during the last 1000 years."

Do I need to add that he was 100% right and the reason for that is that he understood the physics of greenhouse gases?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon