Reply to post: Re: Improbable

'The capacitors exploded, showering the lab in flaming confetti'

tyne

Re: Improbable

And that's why the first thing my A Level Physics tutor told me to forget everything I had learnt at GCSE because it was either a lie or an over simplification.

I was then told exactly the same thing at degree level, seems a perverse way to teach to simplify things to the point they are factually incorrect and then have to "correct" that knowledge at a later date.

I don't think that I was that unusual as a 15-16 year old that I could understand that there would be shades of grey in the answer to a question. The fact that "Few kids are interested in why it's changed" is wrong on many levels;

a) The voltage has never changed, just the way it's described and for political reasons.

b) Your implying that we shouldn't teach kids anything they're not interested in

Using the new description of 230v +10% -6% or the old one of 240v +/-6%. Gives a range of valid answers and in both cases either 230v or 240v is a perfectly correct answer.

A system that marks a student down when they have given a perfectly correct answer just because they haven't given the answer the examiner was expecting is broken and not fit for purpose.

Reminds me of the quote from my boss in my first true engineering job, "Those that can do, those that can't teach...."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon