Reply to post: Re: Red Hat on AIX virtualization @Michael Wojcik

IBM melts down fixing Meltdown as processes and patches stutter

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Red Hat on AIX virtualization @Michael Wojcik

I'm interested in the references to any PoC on Power processors that you may have.

I can find a zdnet article that claims vulnerability, which quotes the IBM PSIRT blog item that is hugely non-specific, and does not mention Meltdown or Spectre by name or CVE number. The original Google Project Zero write-up dos not list Power as being one of the processors it discovered had issues.

Because of the specific mechanism, Meltdown uses, until I see someone claiming they have a PoC. this bug on Power will remain in the not-proved category as far as I am concerned.

The write-up for Spectre, however, lists a range of techniques, and lists in passing things like power monitoring, branch prediction table poisoning, and instruction timing exploits, some of which can be made more effective by exploiting speculative execution.

I know that this may be a complacent view, but I believe that IBM's line on Power is that there is a possibility that one of these various techniques detailed in Spectre may well work on Power, and that not issuing a statement or patches would be more damaging to the reputation of IBM and it's Power line than issuing fixes that do something (like remove the kernel address space mapping from user processed), which remove one of the identified issues that cause problems on other processors).

I've seen no indication that anybody has actually come up with a viable method of removing significant amounts of risk of the Spectre vulnerabilities, other than those which serialize instruction execution, effectively disabling speculative execution. These normally involve code or compiler changes, and this will not make any difference if some malware not compiled with these techniques is executed on the system, i.e. it's not a complete solution.

Couple that with the referenced Return Oriented Programming, using existing sequences of bytes in a process that may not actually be code, but which happen to represent valid instruction sequences are identified, and then executed using buffer overflow techniques to jump to these locations, and you have attacks that are extremely difficult to mitigate.

So if you have found any references to any real Power PoC, I would be very interested in reading them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon