Reply to post: Re: Germans are pretty sick of war jokes and I'm not surprised. They did start it though.

Beer hall putz: Regulator slaps northern pub over Nazi-themed ad

Mooseman Bronze badge

Re: Germans are pretty sick of war jokes and I'm not surprised. They did start it though.

"And the last century or so of history shows that too many of them have been willing to deny or attempt to justify that history.

The really frightening thing is that the lessons of that horrible past - and they go back to way before Adolf took power *democratically* in Germany - have not been learned in THIS country"

A couple of points -

1. Hitler was never democratically elected - he was appointed Chancellor by Hindenburg, and then rapidly outlawed all other opposition parties

2. Germany has never shied away from it's WW2 past. Every German I know was taught about it at school, they are all without exception horrified and guilty, even those born decades after the events. Unlike in Austria where history simply stops in 1938 and carries on in 1945

Mosely and his blackshirts were mildly popular here, supported by the Daily Mail and several high ranking figures, but the average bloke had no time for their strutting nonsense. Would it happen now? After 40 years of anti European smears and talk of "swarms" of foreigners invading us, culminating in the brexit foolishness, who knows?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019