Reply to post: Re: Let's step it back a bit...

20 years ago this week, Microsoft just about killed Australian PC manufacturing

Kaypro2018

Re: Let's step it back a bit...

Hi! JCooper. By sheer coincidence, your father's name came to me during a sleepless moment at 4a.m. last night and something made me grab my iPad and Google 'Tom cooper kaypro' as couldn't remember the President name.

I would very much like to get in touch with your father Tom, if possible. I was the Canadian counterpart to him. Although I wasn't an Osbourne distributor, I was the Canadian exclusive distributor for Kaypro, taking them from zero to huge in mere months. Things got ugly when the Kay family decided that they could save money by bypassing me and going direct. I'm happy to report that they lost 90+% of their sales and not too long thereafter went out of business. I had, much like your father (we had discussed this strategy) also created my own private brand of IBM compatibles, that were actually Taiwanese parts, and branded them under the Challenger brand name.

I would be extremely pleased to be able to reestablish contact with him. He will hopefully remember me and can email me at kaypro2018 @ gmail.com

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon