Reply to post:

Hold on to your aaSes: Yup, Windows 10 'as a service' is incoming

Lorribot

It seems to me that Microsoft over the years has got a little confused as to what it was supposed to be supplying.

For most an OS should do the basics and provide an opportunity or platform for Application vendors to provide the experience.

Back in the days of Windows 95 and subsequant versions that experience was subsumed in to Windows until Windows 7. With windows 10 lots of work was don to uncouple teh basic OS from all teh peripheral detritus which is why the early copies booted almost instantly with the help of BIOS tweaks and SSD, unfortunately it came with a penalty of increased snooping and a need to sell services and become a hub and more and more has been added to the OS in the name of features and selling stuff.

I have no camera, microphone or mobile phone connection and yet i still have to have Camera, Recorder and Messenger installed, why?

OS as a service should be just that, an OS, a platform for others to build on, unfortunately no one (not even Linux distros) seem to offer that, MS could but choose to, but the everyone needs money to survive and its current business model precludes it.

What price a basic OS that is stable, free of snooping, light weight and secure by default and the only consequence of a badly written app is that it crashes its own little world?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019