Reply to post: Re: Great OS

Linux Mint 18.3: A breath of fresh air? Well, it's a step into the unGNOME

cambsukguy

Re: Great OS

I have mint at work. Like Linux generally, it runs fine.

I used chrome at first as a browser because it heading to be set that way by the person that left me the system.

But, after the machine essentially ceased to work and it took me fifteen minutes to persuade the mouse to be above the X so I could nuke it, it so wouldn't die.

It would have appeared to be a memory issue so I switched to Firefox.

I had the problem again a couple of weeks later but, of course had installed openssh and gotten the IP address so I could kill Firefox from my phone.

Even though I tested it worked, it failed when I needed it. I could ping the machine but not log in.

Eventually Linux crashed although sometimes it does trash Firefox on it's own saying a tab crashed.

Even though rebooting takes minimal time, it is the cost of setting up all those windows etc that irks me.

I am particularly bothered that Linux itself stops working when Firefox decides to melt down. I should be able to pop up a terminal and kill the process, like I do in windows.

There is no three fingered salute that brings up a menu for a task manager or console terminal.

Being unable to ssh in is particularly annoying, possibly because it is using Wi-Fi rather than Ethernet, we have no cable network. I couldn't source a cable to check at the time.

I can honestly say I can't recall the last time my mouse stopped moving on Windows 10 and was unable to recover without a reboot.

So, no, not overly impressed with it did and not have the issue with Ubuntu over the years.

Added to the fact that there is a nasty ripple in the graphics when I have the temerity to scroll the mouse wheel in either browser, on a new laptop with 8GB of RAM, it seems like it is not a finished system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019