Reply to post: Re: Flat Earth stuff

Astroboffins say our Solar System could have – wait, stop, what... the US govt found UFOs?

Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge

Re: Flat Earth stuff

Totally agree that comment sections on Flat Earth video's are scary :)

Howver, in my travels through the odd corners of youtube I have seen some stuff that really does bear closer inspection, and in some cases, a good old fashioned experiment or two.

Stuff that I found compelling: Evidence of fakery on the part of NASA (astronaughts on wires, blue-screen oddness on the ISS, no genuine photo's of Earth from high orbit etc.) ; gyroscopic anomalies that could indicate The Earth is not rotating.

Now, one thing I would really like to do is perform a proper experiment to measure the curvature of the planet, because some people seem to have done experiments that appear to show there is a lot less than one would expect.

I'd like to devise an experiment that is as simple as possible and doesn't rely on a large number of inputs, so as to reduce error. I've considered one experiment that, whilst not measuring the curve, would at least provide enough evidence to disprove/prove some limits of what we can see.

For example: Find a long lake on a calm day. Set up a laser at one end (as close to the surface as possible, say 20cm). Mount a large white board at the other end, stick a powerful torch on top and aim it at the shore where the laser is. Using the torch as a guide, aim the laser at the board until you can see the laser hitting the board.

Then you lower the angle of the laser until it can no longer be seen on the board, measure the height of that point above the water. This, in my opinion, should give you a reasonable indication of how much curvature is present between the laser and the board (after taking the extra 20cm into account).

Now, not knowing much about lasers and the effects of the last bit of air above a body of water, can anyone tell me if this would be a valid experiment, and if not what would be?

I'm going to assume a total laser-board distance of at least three miles, as I believe curvature to be (miles squared*8 in inches, so 3 miles should be 72", or 6ft). There is a website on the net that can help me calculate the effect of the laser being 20cm above the water.

If The Earth is curved as we are informed, then the laser *cannot* appear on the board below 6ft (minus whatever the 20cm height of the laser effects are). If the laser appears to hit the board well below this point is it safe to conclude that The Earth's curvature is a lot less than our current model predicts?

I'm serious here, totally prepared to spend money on a laser and getting some people together who can independantly witness the experiment and controls etc. I'd like it to be of sufficient rigour to write a paper on it and have it peer reviewed. You can't go round basing beliefs on youtube video's after all ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019