Reply to post: Re: The Intel Driver bug is possibly a bit more present than Intel lets on.

Ubuntu 17.10 pulled: Linux OS knackers laptop BIOSes, Intel kernel driver fingered

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: The Intel Driver bug is possibly a bit more present than Intel lets on.

>I have had several Dell branded laptops unexpectedly become totally unresponsive (apart from the power button lighting up) while installing the Windows 10 Creators or Windows 10 Creators Fall updates

Agree there are problems which seem to be associated with UEFI.

WRT Windows 10 Creators Fall update, what surprised me with a bunch of HP laptops, was that the one a user updated, purely using the MS WUP service was bricked [Issue was reported in the HP forums at the time and got some press exposure.]. However, on the others by firstly doing an HP maintenance update (using the preinstalled HP tool) and doing as instructed, namely reinstall the BIOS that had been installed some months previously - doing a full overwrite/reset, the subsequent MS updates worked without problem.

My hypothesis was that an update (via MS?) did something to the UEFI memory that was causing the Fall update problems, by performing a full BIOS refresh, I was setting the BIOS and the relevant UEFI memory area to a known state.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon