Reply to post: Re: The Intel Driver bug is possibly a bit more present than Intel lets on.

Ubuntu 17.10 pulled: Linux OS knackers laptop BIOSes, Intel kernel driver fingered

Updraft102

Re: The Intel Driver bug is possibly a bit more present than Intel lets on.

"A couple were able to be salvaged by leaving the system battery unplugged and the CMOS battery unplugged for an extended period of time (a bit hard when the batteries are deep inside the units)"

At least one poster on one of the Lenovo forums said that his CMOS battery was soldered to the motherboard. More planned obsolescence.... that REALLY angers me.

Before anyone asks when was the last time I had to replace such a battery with hardware that wasn't so obsolete that it was useless anyway: I'm using a laptop right now to write this whose internal battery died over a year ago after years of service. Fortunately, it was a very common coin-cell battery (same as all my desktop motherboards... 2032?) in the usual type of holder. Once I got the top cover/palmrest off, replacing the battery was easy. It would have been even better if the battery holder on the motherboard was accessible from the hardware access cover on the bottom of the unit like the CPU, GPU, and RAM (the wifi card and HDD have their own separate cover, and the laptop main battery is externally removable), but nothing's perfect.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon