Reply to post: As an amateur

Ubuntu 17.10 pulled: Linux OS knackers laptop BIOSes, Intel kernel driver fingered

Terry 6 Silver badge

As an amateur

OK, not fully an amateur since I've been supporting computer users as part of my job for decades, but I'm not a comp sci trained pro. And my main role was always to think like a pro should, but understand like a user would. An in neither role can I understand these aspects.

1.) How does an untested driver ever get put in a considered release of anything. Is no one in charge of the project?

2.) How can an OS (or any other significant s/w) update get into release without it having been tried on a good range of commonly sold machines?

3.) How can any piece of software be written and distributed to normal end-users that is allowed to make non-reversible changes to a layer fundamentally lower, be it s/w changing the OS or OS changing a BIOS.

4.) How can a piece of software (for general release) even be written such that it makes non-reversible changes to a setting, i.e. have not have an option to undo anything it can do, even if that has to be in a special mode.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon